Friday, April 17, 2009

Dehydrated but Productive

One of the problems that I have when writing is that I forget to take breaks. Another problem is that I like to write on my laptop while lying on my couch (as I am right now), and due to the unfortunate placement of all of the tables in my living room, this means that any drink in my vicinity is placed directly behind my head. So, while I have the remnants of an iced tea not two feet away from me, I'm still feeling parched because I don't want to stop typing long enough to sit up, drink the tea, return to my prone position, and adjust my laptop for optimal typing. Then again, I'm *really* thirsty, so perhaps I should reconsider...

Okay, I'm back. I was quite productive today, but almost all of it came between 6:30pm and 10:30pm. I also had a brief spurt for an hour and a half this morning, but between dropping off and picking up my car from the service station, mailing some stuff, eating lunch, reading a couple of chapters out of a creative writing textbook, and buying waaaaay too much stuff at Sephora, I had quite a lazy afternoon. I like to think it was just what I needed, though, and I'm feeling much more relaxed and ready to tackle more writing this weekend.

I wrote 3258 words today, or approximately thirteen pages. This got me through the rest of Malcolm and Amelia's wedding scene, and I'm about halfway through the subsequent breakfast. I intend to finish that scene tomorrow, then go back and revisit the first three chapters leading into the wedding to make sure they flow properly and are fast-paced enough to build reader interest. If I'm going to accomplish all of that tomorrow, sleep is imperative tonight, so I suppose I should go to bed!

No comments: