Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Writing, comma, How Not to Succeed At

The best way, hands down, to not succeed at writing is to never make time to write. And unfortunately, that is the position that I find myself in this week. Despite my best intentions, I have not written since Sunday. Three days is really not such a long break, but I'm so excited to get back to working on Madeleine and Ferguson's story, and so a three- (or more likely, five-) day hiatus is frustrating.

Then again, given the state of the economy in general and my expensive tastes in particular, having a day job is a good thing, even if the day job is keeping me so occupied this week that I can't find time to write. Yes, I could make faster progress on the road to publication if I could devote sixty hours a week to it, but it's hard to slog down that road if you have scurvy because you can only afford to eat ramen. I suppose I could give up my Sephora habit -- but until they develop drugs to help ease the withdrawal pangs I would feel at never buying Nars eyeshadow or Shiseido lipstick again, I'm too hooked to drop it.

What about you? What silly expense are you unwilling to drop?

No comments: